Thursday, August 2, 2012

Assignment #2 Mom's Broken

Mom:  This hasn't exactly been the summer we planned and you certainly got out of your mom hassling you over writing, but tell me..What did you think, when you heard I was in the hospital with broken bones?

J: When I first heard about this I thought it was a joke just because my sister told me. The only reason I thought it was a joke is because mom didn't tell me when it happened. Mom told me the next day and then I knew she wasn't joking. Later on that week when mom talked to me about it, I thought it was a little bad. I also thought the bike was totaled, so I was like, "She just got that bike and that really sucks that she wrecked it.", but it wasn't that bad.

D: What I thought when I heard you were in the hospital was nothing at first.  But when I called and found out you were in the hospital from your bike, I was frustrated because you just got your bike and now its broken. Then when I heard you bought a camera I got even more frustrated. That is what I thought.

Mom:  So let me get this straight.  Neither one of you were worried or concerned or scared or something - just cared about my bike.  Why were you frustrated I bought a new camera?  I know you are teens but Geez, I might get a complex or something from this lack of caring feelings!  You both have been really good with helping me out during my crip time and I know D really enjoyed the idea of "babysitting" his mom, but it wouldn't hurt to share a little more concern!   It's bad enough you don't jump up and down cheering every time I can do something new like open my own water bottle.  Show your mom some LOVE!

J: I was, I was shocked and a little worried.

D: I was too, concerned, but you were spending money after money.

Mom:  Having a conversation with teens is like pulling teeth!  Funny how when you want something you can talk and talk until I plead for a break, but when I want to talk - you have next to nothing to say.  I think I'm going to record you two the next time so everyone will believe me.  Since, I have to ask a question for every line...here it goes...

D, were you afraid I would run out and not have any to spare or spend on you?!  Let's not forget some of my spending was for you as well.  I mean, I bought all my boys some new clothes!  And I know you liked them because I got that hint of a smile - the one you try so hard to hide!  Teens!

Next questions...How do the two of you feel going out in public with a mom in a wheelchair, sporting a leg warmer and one toe nail painted?  Tell me the truth, does my arm and leg look like Frankenstein?  Can you remember more than 3 questions or should I limit it to just one at a time?

J: How I feel about you being in a wheelchair and looking like this I really dont care you still my mom nd you're just in a wheel chair. Limit to one question. The second question my answer is yes.


D: 1. No I was not afraid that you would run out of money.
    2. I did not really care you were in a wheelchair, or about your toe nail.
    3. No it dose not look like Frankenstein.
    4. You should stick with one question at a time per day.

So as you can see, getting them to have a written conversation is almost as good as having a verbal one as they roll their eyes and walk away.  I edited some of their answers but left the last ones alone...can't wait to see the day when they have more to write and edit their own work (yes, I am rolling my eyes now).

I guess the important thing to  remember is they love to love me just the way I am ... from a cool teen distance.  Little do they know (well I gues they know now) but I've overheard them telling their friends how cool I am!  Good think I love them just the way they are too and sometimes...their even cool!

1 comment: